Thursday, October 05, 2006

Vienna Calling

Hello from Vienna, Austria. This is my maiden post here. Would like to share with you some of the things I, or rather we, did last summer in the garden house where we spend so much time in spring, summer and early fall - when it isn't cold. Summers here could be cruel at times. This year it was short. August was very bad - cold rains and winds. Not good for my herbs and flowers. But when the sun was shining you'll never find me in my flat after work. Fact is, I seldom cook in my kitchen in summer. Like back home we have a dirty kitchen in the garden house where I don't have to worry if the kitchen becomes a battlefield. It's in the open! Here in the garden we can entertain till late without worrying that the neighbors may call the police when the spirits get high. Oh, yes, the neighbors can be nasty and call the police after 10 pm - the time when the party is just getting in full swing. Ask my Pinoy friends whose idea of a party is karaoke. Anyway, that's another story.

The garden per se has a size of 350 sq m. Small but needs a lot of time and energy to maintain. It's fun though except in the Fall when leaves start to fall - that means constant raking. Fall is also the time when you plant tulips. This year we thought of including the multi-layered-petal variety. The petals have streaks of light pink, old rose and purple hues.

Photos show the garden house, me with a huge carp (8 kg) caught from the Danube river by a friend who loves fishing but doesn't eat fish! It took me ages to clean that fish with those thick scales. That's me again with a neighbor under the plum tree. Next photo shows Walter de-seeding plums for his streusel. Would like to show you more pix but seems like I can only send a few per blog. Will try next time. Have a nice weekend. V



2 Comments:

Blogger wyatt said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:07 AM  
Blogger wyatt said...

Thanks V for sharing your blog.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home